If you have a backup of whatsapp on sd card, you will find below the steps to restore whatsapp from sd card to new or existing android phone.
WhatsApp supports backup to Google Drive, iCloud, local storage on phones and SD cards.
While the default setting on Android devices is to backup WhatsApp to Google Drive, some users prefer to backup WhatsApp on the SD card on their Android phones.
Backup WhatsApp from SD Card
Before proceeding with the steps to restore WhatsApp from SD card, make sure that a recent backup of WhatsApp is available on the SD card.
In fact, it is better to make a current manual backup of WhatsApp on the SD card before they move through the restore process.
This will ensure that all your latest WhatsApp messages, photos and videos are restored back.
Manually backup WhatsApp to SD card
Follow the steps given below to prepare the latest backup of WhatsApp to SD card.
- Open WhatsApp> tap on the 3-dots menu icon and select Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Next, navigate to Chat> Chat Backup> and tap Go back to Google Drive option.
- On the pop-up that appears, select the Never option to disable WhatsApp backup in Google Drive.
- After disabling WhatsApp backup in Google Drive, go to the chat backup screen and tap on the back up button.
- Wait for all your WhatsApp messages, photos and videos to backup the SD card on your Android phone.
Reinstall WhatsApp from SD card to new phone
After making the backup of the SD card, you can follow the steps given below to restore WhatsApp from SD card to a new phone or an existing Android phone.
- Transfer the SD card with WhatsApp backup from old to new device.
- Download WhatsApp from Google Play Store on your Android phone.
- Once WhatsApp has completed downloading, tap on Open.
- On the next screen, select the country, enter the phone number and tap on Next.
- On the next pop-up, tap on OK to allow WhatsApp to verify your phone number.
- Once the phone number is verified, WhatsApp will automatically check for backup and notify you. Tap restore to restore all your WhatsApp messages.
- Wait until the restore process is complete and tap the next when you see the check mark.
- On the next screen, type your profile name and tap on Next to complete the restore process.
With the above steps, you have successfully completed the process of restoring WhatsApp from SD card backup.
Restore WhatsApp from SD card to same phone
If you are restoring WhatsApp to the same phone, then you must first delete WhatsApp from your Android phone and install it again from the Google Play Store.
- Open Settings on your Android phone> Go to Applications (or Applications)> Application Manager (on Samsung devices)> Scroll down and tap on WhatsApp.
- On the next screen, tap Uninstall to remove WhatsApp from your Android phone.
- After uninstalling WhatsApp, open the Google Play Store and download WhatsApp again on your device.
- Once WhatsApp is downloaded, tap on Open.
- Next, follow the instructions to agree to the WhatsApp Terms of Service and verify your phone number.
- After your phone number is verified, WhatsApp will inform you about the backup available on your device. Tap restore to restore whatsapp from sd card backup.
- Wait until the restore process is complete and follow the next instructions to complete this process.
Unable to restore whatsapp from sd card
If you are unable to restore whatsapp from sd card, you will have to rename the whatsapp backup file and repeat the above steps again.
- Download and install the File Manager app from the Google Play Store on your Android phone (if it is not already available on your device).
- Using the file manager utility, go to My Files> SD Card> WhatsApp> Database folder.
- In the database folder, you should see a WhatsApp backup file named “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12”. Rename this file to “msgstore.db.crypt12”.
- After renaming the file, complete the above steps to uninstall WhatsApp, reinstall WhatsApp from Google Play Store and reinstall WhatsApp from SD card.
Note: Backup extensions may vary (crypt 10, crypt 11 and so on). Just remove the date and do not change the number of crypt extensions.
Related Blogs:- How to Use WhatsApp on Android Tablet